Please be careful. This does not go away with a cream.
Here are some quick (and scary) facts:
- More than a fourth of adult New Yorkers are infected with Herpes Simplex Virus-2, the virus that causes genital herpes.
- Genital herpes is more common in New York City than nationally (26% of adults versus 19%)
- The rate is higher among women than men (36% versus 19%)
- Higher among blacks than whites (49% versus 14%)
- Higher among men who have sex with men than those who don’t (32% versus 18%)
The full report by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene can be found here.